Monday, May 18, 2009

CALIFORNIA ROAD TRIP




The last week of April and first week of May we headed down to California for an epic two week road trip. Our first stop was LA for an 8 hour mountain bike race. The day after that we went up to Malibu to do our first stand up paddleboard race. It was a 7 mile downwinder and it was a blast paddling with Chuck Patterson, one of the best stand up paddlers in the world. From there we carried on to Newport beach for an amazing workout with Bob at Crossfit Newport, I was sore for three days. We stayed at our friend Cat's place. Thanks Cat for the great hospitality.  Then it was down to Solana Beach just north of San Diego to stay at TR's place. I was in heaven as it was a 2 minute walk to the beach with the stand up paddleboard. We were down there for 5 days and I spent most of my time in the water SUPing Tabletops.  I was so tired i could barely lift my arms. It is such an incredible surf culture in California and I think I made jen stop at every surf shop from Squamish to San Diego. I was like a little kid in a candy store. My favorite place was the Patagonia first surf inspired store in Cardiff.
 I didn't really want to leave Solana Beach but we had to make our way back up north. We stopped in places like Ventura, Rincon, Santa Barbara, Big Sur, Monterrey, Morro Bay and Santa Cruz. The Big Sur shoreline was one of the most incredible shorelines I have ever seen and if you ever get a chance to drive it you will never forget it. Our last night was spent in northern california at an incredible spot in the Redwood forest called Patricks Point.  Beautiful campsite with booming surf. 
The final day we stopped at Cresent City to see if Greg Noll was around but not even his son's surf shop was open and the surf itself was terrible so we cruised all the way home to Squamish. I think we stopped at every coffee shop between Squmaish and San Diego too. It was an amazing trip and I can't wait to get back there.......a lot longer next time.

No comments: