Sunday, January 18, 2009

Eagle Viewing by Stand Up Paddleboard

We have had some amazing weather lately, sunny and clear blue skies. The skiing hasn't been great so I took my paddleboard out yesterday and paddle up the Squamish River to check out some bald eagles. Our eagle count was down again this year, lower than last. Last year was a very low year and they are attributing that to the diminishing runs of chum salmon. After the river paddle i headed out into the sound for another hour or so. It was great being out on such an amazing day. The outflow winds started to kick up so I headed back in. 

I also got some new touring gear from Mark up in Williams Lake. He owns the Red Shreds Ski Shop up there and sent down a pair of Mt. Baker Superlights with a pair of TLT vertical's on them. Incredible set up. I have been touring on pair of Black Diamond Havocs with Diamir Freeride binding. That set up has been pretty good too, the bindings are beefy and the Havocs rip but they do not compare to the lightness going uphill of the Baker's and TLT's. Wow. Feels like you have nothing on, ski's i mean, in comparison. I also got a pair of used Garmont Megarides. They are a 4 buckle boot and I can already notice the power. I am really looking forward to some big days on them.......they should work really well for the big volcano's this spring. Tonight I am heading up Blackcomb for a starlight training tour.

No comments: