Monday, September 1, 2008

I'M BACK

Well i have to apologize for not being on the blog since June. The summer is my season for guiding and i just recently got back from my last stint guiding salmon fishing on the west coast of the Queen Charlotte Islands/Haida Gwaii. July I was busy driving through the states ending up in Badwater(-181 feet) Death Valley for a friends epic ultra marathon race. End of July was back in the Charlottes fishing and then August was awesome as I headed back home to Sudbury for a couple of weeks to visit family and friends and to run a sea kayak trip with clients and a canoe trip with dad and bro. 

I have to say that fishing the west coast of the Queen Charlotte Islands was outstanding, the fishing amazing when you could get out to the spots to fish. I was up there for about 40 days working for the Outpost Lodge. The weather was absolutely terrible. Many days we had driving rain and gale to storm force winds. I learned to drive a boat in huge seas and to be calm when facing epic water conditions. I can remember two nice days. The rest were like the movie Groundhog Day where every day you wake up is the same.........gray, rain and freakin windy. I saw some incredible fish come in. Kenny B hammered a 62 pound Chinook, you just don't see fish like that anymore. It was massive. I saw a halibut come in that was 206 pounds and guides up there released halibut in the 300 pound range. Unreal hali fishing. These fish when they hit will almost pull you out of the boat if your not ready. It feels like your battling the bottom of the ocean for the majority of the hour. I fished with some real characters up there........Tiny aka LOG, Kermode, KB, Babu, Picasso, Pacino and I can't forget the best handle on the coast......Boat 4. Of course I am the Storm and was reminded every time I came up because I always brought bad weather with me. No doubt i was in my element enjoying the highest energy coastline in the world. The west side of the Charlottes is the most spectacular shoreline I have ever seen. Everyone at some point in their life has to get up there. More adventures to come.

No comments: